Even if you’ve done nothing wrong, anyone can be selected – meaning no one is immune to scrutiny.
No business is too small or too large for HMRC to challenge; those targeted include cash businesses, tradespeople, farmers, medical professionals, solicitors and individuals. Below are just some examples of businesses that have been investigated.
HMRC selected a large restaurant chain for an unannounced visit and subsequent VAT enquiry. After 2 years, HMRC raised a best judgement assessment of c. £100k.
The practice pursued matters through Alternative Dispute Resolution resulting in costs of £15,000. The enquiry concluded with no additional tax liabilities.
An enquiry into a non-resident individual took several years, with HMRC requesting a large amount of very detailed information. After numerous exchanges of correspondence, HMRC ultimately concluded that the tax treatment was correct.
The enquiry costs amounted to in excess of £30,000.
HMRC opened a full enquiry into a self-employed caterer. The Inspector requested all of the books and records at the outset and subsequently made further enquiries about the expenses claimed. The practice managed to close the enquiry via correspondence alone, with no adjustments required to the return.
Yet fees still amounted to £2,000.
Where we come in.
- No one can prevent an investigation, but our tax investigations package:
- Will remove your concerns about the cost of an enquiry
- Ensure you receive the best defence so that your tax position is protected
- Enable us to challenge HMRC’s assertions and assumptions head on
- Ensure that the basis of any enquiry is correct and that your case is handled fairly
- Handle all communications with HMRC, including letters, phone calls or notices issued
- Ensure the tax inspector is only asking for relevant information and documents and provide all supporting information from our files that relates to your accounts
- Prepare for and attend any face-to-face meetings with the tax inspector
- Argue any complex or technical tax cases that are raised during the enquiry
So whether it’s a PAYE or VAT visit, a technical enquiry or full blown books and records enquiry, our tax investigations service is designed to get you the best result. That’s why we strongly recommend that all our clients subscribe.
For a small yearly cost, you can rest assured that you are fully protected against professional costs associated with an HMRC enquiry. Contact Sharon in our office today to find out more, on 0161 905 1801 in South Manchester, or 01925 830 830 in Warrington.