Ways to pay your self assessment tax

There are a number of ways to pay your self-assessment tax, and to make it as easy as possible for our clients we have listed where you can pay, and exactly how to do it.

First things first, regardless of how you’re paying you will need to find your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which is noted on the top left-hand side of your self-assessment tax return form.

1. Online by debit or credit card

You can pay online directly to HMRC here: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/pay-online/self-assessment

You must quote your 10-digit UTR followed by the letter ‘K’ as your payment reference, and then simply add in the amount you need to pay.

Don’t forget – there is no fee if you pay by debit card, but there is a fee when paying by credit card and this fee isn’t refundable.


2. By BACS, CHAPS, online or telephone banking

You can make a transfer from your bank account by Faster Payments, CHAPS or BACS, for which you will need to use the following HMRC bank account details; 

Account name: HMRC Cumbernauld

Sort code: 08 32 10

Account number: 12001039

Your payment reference will just be your 10-digit UTR followed by the letter ‘K’.


3. By cheque through the post

If you prefer the more traditional approach, you can also send a cheque by post to HMRC at the following address;




Make your cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’ followed by your 10-digit UTR followed by the letter ‘K’.

You must also include a covering letter or note which details your full name and address, in addition to which self-assessment tax payment it is in respect of (e.g. SA tax payment for 31.07.2017).

Don’t forget that you need to bear in mind the time your payment method takes to process, to ensure you don’t miss the deadline and incur a penalty. For example, if you pay online or by CHAPS it will be processed on the same day, but if you pay by cheque or BACS it will take 3 days, so don’t get caught out! For more information on payment times, and other methods of payment, HMRC have a dedicated page here.

Of course, the best way to avoid any unwanted fees is to be organised and pay well in advance, but we know that is easier said than done! If you need support with filing your self-assessment tax return, our expert team will be more than happy to help, just get in touch.